St Cuthbert's Church seeks to be a warm welcoming congregation. While most of our services are drawn from the Book of Common Worship, Holy Communion, we do also, hold Songs of Praise and other types of Services on a quarterly basis, as advertised on this website; our facebook page, the Church of England's “A Church Near You” website and in the local press publications.
St Cuthbert's Church is a Grade II listed building. It is plain and typical of a stone structure built in 1832 to accommodate up to 200 people.
There are no longer burials in the churchyard, but there is a new cemetry at the end of the village.
St Cuthbert's is a country parish of linear development stretching from the Four Lane Ends, near Escomb to Windmill and Morley. It covers an area of 10 square miles and is situated three miles west of Bishop Auckland. It has a population of approximately 2500.
The church is one of a group of 5 churches; The Saxon Church, Escomb; St Cuthbert's church, Etherley; St James' church, Hamsterley, St Paul's church, Witton Park and St Philip and St James' church, Witton le Wear.
Priest in Charge: Vacant Post
Assisted by: Revd Tim Atkins Revd Canon Trevor Pitt
Churchwarden: Mr Barrie Kirton
Churchwarden: Mrs Elizabeth Jude - tel No 07929 718894
Treasurer: Mr Barrie Kirton
Secretary: Mrs Cynthia Knight
Floral arrangements & displays: Mrs Margaret Metcalf