St. Cuthbert’s Church A brief description of St. Cuthbert’s Church at High Etherley from information gained during research into Durham Cathedral Library, local history booklets and extracts from previous writings about the Etherley area.
By 1829 the population of Etherley had grown rapidly and the elders of the Established Church began to feel the need for a place of worship in Etherley and in 1832 St. Cuthbert’s “Anglican” church was built under the patronage of the Bishop of Durham William Van Mildert.
In 1831 Bishop Van Mildert worked with William Ramshaw, a joiner and builder from Bishop Auckland to design and then build the Church of Etherley. Little is known about William Ramshaw or the detail in the building of the church.
On May 20th 1832 the church, “affording comfortable accommodation for about 350 persons” was opened for divine service and on July 10th was presented with a stone font by Archdeacon Thorp.
Rev. George Watson became the first Rector of Etherley and on the 24th November 1832 the church and churchyard were consecrated by Rev. Dr. Grey the Bishop of Bristol. The churchyard contains Commonwealth War Graves as well as the Parish Cenotaph. The William Van Mildert Coat of Arms General Images of St. Cuthbert’s Church at High Etherley
For more detailed history of St. Cuthbert’s Church and its people over the years please click HERE